Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:38:03 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Ralph Dratman <ralph@maxsoft.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Couldn't stat file /usr/X11R6/man"

Greetings!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Ralph Dratman wrote:

> I keep seeing the message "Warning: couldn't stat file
> /usr/X11R6/man!" in the course of output from certain shell commands
> (I use bash). Then the command appears to complete normally. I've
This does not depend on shell, which You r using.

> tried deleting the directory which is being complained about, to no
First rule of UNIX: rm is forever, so don't delete anything, unless
You r sure, that this will b unnecessary.

> avail: I still get a message about it, even though it's no longer
> present on the system.
Of course. This message stat that no such file/directory found. You rm
it and all is getting worse, in fact.

> Here is a typical exmaple:
>
> =================================
> #whereis xfce
> Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/X11R6/man!
> xfce: /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce
> =================================
As You can see in this example, only affected commands from man
sub-system.

> Anybody know what's going on?

As for now, when this directory is not avaiable, check $MANPATH. I
think, it supposed to contain entry for dir, which should b excluded.

With respect,

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua
System Administrator,		WWW: http://www.hermes-comp.zp.ua/
Hermes-comp,