Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:55:46 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "User & Ian Patrick Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, "Caleb Walker" <cwalker@cwalk.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing a new Hard Drive to add space

> > What is going to be the best way to add a new hard drive after I
have a
> > working system up and running?  Any good reading material or any
kind of help
> > would be appreciated.
>
> http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/2disk.html

Hi, guys.

I just looked over that Cheat Sheet (which I wrote almost 2 years ago)
and immediately noticed a few items to keep in mind:

1.    The 'wd' and 'wdc' devices should now be 'ad' and 'ata', as the
old 'western digital' drive code was replaced by 'AT-Attachment' code in
FreeBSD 4.  Keep this in mind when adding the new drive to your kernel
config.

2.    Although I only moved /var at the time, the procedure *should*
work for the whole /usr tree, if you want to move the whole thing...

3.    That cheat sheet is really old, so make sure you have a current
backup of anything you want to save, just in case!

If you try this method, please let me know how it works out (and what
you actually had to do to be successful), and I'll update that cheat
sheet accordingly.

Thanks,

--Dan

--