Date:      22 Dec 2000 13:55:29 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clone an installation (urgent help needed)

Thanks for your reply.

I figured the thing out myself.

1. I partitioned the new drive and installed boot sector using
/stand/sysinstall, and mounted them under /mnt/root, /mnt/root/usr
etc.  I had to mind partitions' names to map 1:1 from the old ones.

2. I used tar to copy the files from the old partitions, and then
untarred them into the new disk
tar cvfpl / root.tar
cd /mnt/root; tar xvfps root.tar
For /var, /tmp, and /home I did this in single-user mode.

3. Powered off, removed the bad disk, put the new one instead of it,
and booted.

It all worked flawlessly, and the only downtime was to hook the new
disk up, and then to remove the old one.
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.