Date:      Wed, 25 May 2016 17:40:42 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT hardware question

On 25/05/2016 16:51, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> Does anyone onlist know of any small (RPi-ish), cheap boxen w/ 2 or more
> working RJ45 ports (100 Mbit is OK), FreeBSD or NetBSD compatible ? I
> would like to use them as a firewall & an asterisk box. I found Utilite,
> kinda pricey, also Banana-Pi R1 (5 ports, however apparently wired
> somewhat weirdly on the board, NetBSD networking doesn't work there last
> I looked). Anyone got a little beastie like this working ? TIA & have a
> good one.

I'm not sure how cheap you want, but in the past I've used boards from
PC Engines as firewalls.

http://www.pcengines.ch/

My current firewall was built from a (now discontinued) Jetway mini ITX
board with one ethernet if plus an added 4 ethernet if daughterboard.
Some of the current Jetway boards might be worth looking at if they're
not beyond your price limit. They tend to use Intel chips rather than
Realtek, so perform better.

--
Moore's Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ
necessary to destroy the world drops by one point.