Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:26:51 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Daniel Pouzzner <douzzer@mega.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI bus activity causes Soundblaster Live glitches

At 02:35 27.04.00 -0400, you wrote:
>Whenever my NIC or SCSI controller generates PCI bus traffic, I hear
>crackle-pop type glitches from the sound card.  I believe the problem
>is with the sound card (Usenet is rife with frustrated reports of SB
>Live specific crackling, popping, etc., using Creative's own drivers
>and the very ordinary mass market hardware and software the card was
>intended for), so I should be glad I'm well within the 14 day return
>window I suppose.
Hi!

Well, I suspect some DMA problem.
IIRC the mentioned devices also use heavy transfer time on PCI bus, so
(depending on the driver state/PCI driver/scheduler for PCI transfers), the
SB Live's datastream may be interrupted sometimes. COuld be a simple
priority issue, or a sign of alck of support for the new VIA chipsets. (Or
some flaws not yet ironed out).

The Epox mainboard is also rumored on other mailinglists not to be the
first choice.
(Asus rulez)

<snip>

>Machine description:
>
>CPU: Athlon 750
>mainboard: Epox 7KXA
>BIOS: Award for 7KXA, version of 2000-Apr-25
>memory: Kingston PC133, clocked at 133MHz
>NIC: 3com 3C905B
>SCSI: Adaptec 39160
>sound card: Creative Soundblaster Live! mp3
>display: Matrox G400-TV
>
>OS: FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE
>sound card driver: emu10k1 of 2000-Apr-18, grabbed from 5.0-CURRENT
>

>The sound card has its IRQ (5) all to itself, though it doesn't in
>fact make any difference whether it shares an IRQ or not
>(experimentally determined).
The IRQ 5 is normally (this means, Windoze 9x) used for SB16/ISA
compatibility for old apps.

Regards
OIaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)