Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:53:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My verdict on 2.2.7...

Most of these seem to be related to a single bug in sysinstall (which
should be fixed by now).

> Well, finally got done installing 2.2.7, and unfortunately, *MY* verdict is
> in (although admittedly I'm not "the judge"): Don't bother.
>
> (1) The new sysinstall is so buggy, you'd better keep a can of RAID by your
> computer when using it (I'll explain as I go along here)...

This sounds like it's not so much an item as an observation.

> (2) The new update of X-windows is either really buggy, or it was the
> sysinstall utility that screwed it up (or a combination of both).  Parts of
> the PC98 server libraries got mixed in with the regular Xfree86 libraries.
> Not all the new X binaries work properly, either.

Can you be more specific about "work properly"?

> (3) Package dependencies are all screwed up (half of what I tried said
> "Can't find libxx.xx.x), even after installing the dependencies given by
> pkg_add -v.  Also, **some packages that exist on the site aren't listed in
> the sysinstall package installer** (yes, I DID download the new INDEX
> file), including my favorite Email reader, xfmail (I had to install it
> manually via pkg_add, and grab an older version of XForms from the 2.2.6
> installation).

The list in sysinstall is based on the INDEX file it retrieves from the
distribution site.  If there's stuff on the site that's not in the
INDEX, that's something you should take up with the maintainer.

It's also possible that the libraries are not being found because the
package is not reloading the shared library cache.  Have you tried
rebooting or running 'ldconfig -mv'?

> (4) Certain problems exist with PPP.  For one, I noticed that it was slower
> than a snail at certain times.  Also, when called by sysinstall in getting
> the network up, an error message appeared saying something like "Warning:
> Config: dns: no such key word.  Warning: enable: Failed 1."  I'll leave
> someone else to figure this out.

That's one for Brian.

> (5) When installing X, if you only select certain parts of it, it doesn't
> get installed at all.  The only way to install it in sysinstall is to
> select ALL of it, then go back and deselect what you DON'T want.  This is
> an obvious bug.  Even after doing this, the wrong files were installed (I
> got a mix of PC98 and regular server stuff that just didn't work together
> correctly.  I had to extensively edit XF86Config by hand.

This is the same bug as in (2).  Please only complain about one bug
once.  8)

> I had no problems like these whatsoever when installing 2.2.6.  In my
> opinion, 2.2.7 is not production quality, and I think this verdict will be
> slowly arriving from more people than just me (they may even yank this
> version - the sysinstall is just impossibly buggy).

I think you are sadly confusing sysinstall with the operating system.
"They" are more likely to fix the bugs in sysinstall than "yank" it.

> They've basically
> crossed v2.2.6 with v3.0 here, and the two just don't seem to mix properly
> :-(.

If you want to make pronouncements like this, you'd better be ready with
your CVS logs to prove it.  We have all our source out on display; if
you can prove the above, go ahead.  Otherwise I think that a public
apology would be in order.

> Anyone with similar experiences to mine with v2.2.7 is invited to Email me
> at fewtch@serv.net.

Actually, people with problems with 2.2.7 are encouraged to mention
these problems in detail on the -stable list so that we can *fix* them.

Of course, if you had purchased a 2.2.6 CDROM in order to sponsor our
development efforts, you wouldn't have to download anything...