Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 18:20:40 -0400
From:      Allyn Hardyck <allynh@avsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cannot fork; no more processes

I seem to be getting these errors often, and unexpectedly, given what's
going on on my system (i.e. not much at the moment other than me, incoming
mail and about a dozen xterms on the screen.)  Will increasing maxusers in
the kernel help?  In /sys/conf/param.c NPROC is (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS), and I
have maxusers defined as 10 in my kernel.  I don't have 180 processes going
when I get these errors.

Or is it something more intractable?  Is it swap space?  I thought I had
enough of that, I don't ever seem to be close to running out....

Thanks again for any advice, and for your responses in the past.  I usually
try checking the questions archive first; but it hasn't been updated since
September.  Will there be another update at some point?

Allyn Hardyck