Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 20:59:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   boot.config on 4.2-REL?

I just installed a new drive on an ATA/100 controller (Promise Ultra if
it's important).  I just used tar to copy the files over to the new
drive (yeah I know, expect problems) and moved the original drive to
the secondary master of the new controller (new drive is pri master).
Booted the machine and at the boot: prompt I had to tell it to boot
0:ad(4,e)  and jump thru a couple of other hoops the first time thru.
The problem (besides the 'nlist failed' thing but I haven't looked into
that yet) is I have to enter 0:ad(4,e) at the prompt every time.

boot(8) tells me if I put 0:ad(4,e)/kernel into /boot.config it will
fix this - but I still get Invalid Partition when I boot.  If I don't
put it in /boot.config what file does it go in?  Or is there a new way
that I haven't discovered yet?

Vince.