Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:48:33 -0700
From:      "Heredity Choice" <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        "Nick Slager" <nicks@albury.net.au>, "jadream" <jadream@chat.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FBSD & Itanium?

Predictions I have seen suggest that the Itanium will be nowhere near as
fast as the DEC/Samsung/Compaq/IBM Alpha, but will be much more expensive to
manufacture.

IBM has an Alpha prototype running at 1200 MH. To do the same amount of
work, an Athlon would have to run at about 2400 MH.

The lineup of Alphas currently produced range from a Microway workstation
for about $2000 to a Compaq cluster being developed for the U.S. Government
which will be the most powerful computer in the world.

The best news is that most of the single-processor Alphas already are
equipped to run FreeBSD. Apple's Darwin, with its microkernel, should be an
easy port to the multiprocessor Alpha and the Alpha clusters.

I have just acquired an Alpha EB164 for 5% of its cost new 5 years ago. The
only hardware incompatible with FreeBSD was the video card, which has no
driver in XFree86 4.01 and has swapped places with the card in my Windows
box.  From the same period, a Deskstation Raptor, a DEC XL or a DEC XLT will
not run FreeBSD.

Paul Smith