Date:      Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:20:29 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Tim Hogan <tim@hoganzoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port update failure -- How do I fix?

Tim Hogan wrote:
> So the bottom line is that I love the ports because I am by no means a
> programer.  As long as I can type make install I am good to go.  The
> problem is that I just tried to do an upgrade on some ports that were
> out of date and I am now getting the error below.  A previous version
> was installed but now the new version will not install.  How do I fix
> this?  Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide...

The odds are that you will need to install /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 and do a
"use.perl port" in order to build many perl modules, since they expect a newer
version of perl than what you seem to have.  Look at /usr/ports/CHANGES for
more help and suggestions on how to upgrade perl and dependant perl ports in a
reasonable fashion.

--
-Chuck

PS: You should probably discuss port-related questions on <freebsd-ports@...>