Date:      Sun, 07 Oct 2001 18:39:28 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HTTP, FTP not working

My FreeBSD installation has a strange (at least I think that it is strange)
problem. FTP and HTTP (and possibly other internet services) do not work.
I wish I could provide more detail, but it is about that simple. Any FTP or
HTTP requests, such as using Lynx or downloading something for ports, does
nothing. No error other than taking a while and timing out (Ports downloads
sometimes say that he remote file does not exist, which is incorrect)
CVSUP and ping seem to work fine.

I am at a loss. I haven't done anything to the system that, as far as my
understanding of FreeBSD goes, could possibly cause this and absolutely
nothing relevant appears in any logs. The system is connected directly to a
cable modem via Cat5e cable and the DHCP client seems to work fine,
configuring the IP and all of that.

I know that it is nearly impossible to troubleshoot with so little
information, but if anyone knows this one of the top of their head, any info
would be great.

Intel Pro/100 management adapter, new Toshiba cablemodem, CableOne.net
internet, FreeBSD 4.4-stable updated/rebuilt 07 OCT AM.
The internet service works with the SuSE and Windows system that are using
it, and it worked up until yesterday (06 oct) with the BSD system.