Date:      Tue, 28 May 2013 21:14:24 +0200
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        "M. V." <bored_to_death85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "swap" partition leads to instability?

On 26. mai 2013, at 10:58, "M. V." <bored_to_death85@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But recently I heard from a FreeBSD expert that I shouldn't have swap part=
ition for my server, and having swap partition could make my server unstable=

Any chance this could be a simple misunderstanding?

That he objected to the thought of the server swapping on an SSD (or whereev=
er), more than the idea of having the partition itself?

If you're heavily swapping on an SSD with no redundancy, sooner or later it w=
ill kill your server.=20

Generally though, havin too little memory will also give issues. ;)

I usually recommend viewing swap like you view filesystems. If you don't wan=
t downtime or dataloss when it dies, plan for failiure, and use gmirror or z=
fs mirror and zvol.=20

Terje