Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:06:29 -0800
From:      Boris <koester@x-itec.de>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Hello Murray,

MS>   I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive comparison that shows off
MS> the strengths of FreeBSD when compared to alternative operating
MS> systems.  In particular, I would like information about :

Here are some suggestions to your comparisation. I think they are a
little bit  realistic, I am several years in business with windows
and linux, since some month I dropped linux and went to FreeBSD (and i
was really surprised, wow what a great os). Linux and *BSD are both
great systems - no question. If I have time to do what I want, I will develop all necesssary things I
need, but until then it will take some years. I am using a mix between
Win2k and FreeBSD, and I am very happy with it. Win2k is my
development platform at the moment and the BSD machine is my network
platform, acting as sendmail server, nat, webserver, and so on. I will
develop apps for freebsd soon, too (we will see what will happen with
the years).  The only reason why I am not completely moved to *BSD are
some tools I need.

Ok, well here are some additions to your comparisation. They are
realistic and it reflects the years I spend with several OSes.

Reliability
------------

1. "Blue Screen" on Win2k ? I have never seen it with Win2k, these
days are nearly over.

Better: Win2k destroys itself after some month and no one know why.
Destroyed DLLs, a lot of bugs in Internet-Explorer, randomly crashes
of OS specific applications, no control about administrative tools. It
need to be reinstalled approx every 3 monts or less, regarding to its
use (and depends on the skill of the admin)!

Performance
-----------
Win2k requires a lot of memory, a lot of ressources and it produces
fragmented directories. After some month, a Win2k machine slow downs a
lot. Even 128 MB seems to be not enough to simply work with win2k.
Transferring files via Windows SMB is slow.

Security
--------
Win2k security is not bad at all. It has not the probem with closing
ports or buffer-overflows as much as linux has (for example). There
are less ports opened, and you need less time for administer your
server to secure it against attacks or similar. But if you need a
firewall, you have to buy one. On *BSD you have a free, very good and
advanced packet filter and a lot of intrusion detection tools (more or
less useful *ggg).

Device Drivers
--------------
I donīt like binary only device drivers. The code of an operating
system is more complex than a driver. if a company does not want to
publish the sourcecode, the should go away. I think this is a good
idea from the linux peoples. If one person begins with stopping
publishing their sources, other people will do this, too. And suddenly
we have the same lame situation as on windows. I have moved to FreeBSD
because I want to understand how everything is working. I will not
use code in binary-only form on an operating system like FreeBSD -
trust no one.

Development environment
-----------------------
You should not forget that if you are developing applications, that
some people want to make money. So you need to buy a developing
environment for windows to make money by yourself. Itīs ok and some of
us need the money. You are only comparing how many development tools
are free, but you forgot the quality. Visual C++ or Delphi are really
great tools and there are a lot of free components available for
delphi (www.torry.ru for example). Thousands of routines and
components. The generated code is not bad at all.

Support
-------
Support for Win2k is as good as for Linux or FreeBSD - maybe even
better because there are a lot of qualified people out to solve
problems with win2k or other operating systems. It takes less time to
sove a win2k problem than solving a *nix problem. Mostly you only need
to reinstall a service pack or similar, and thatīs all.

Price, and Total Cost of Ownership
----------------------------------
The time for configuring a Win2k machine in the first time is less than configuring
a *nix machine  and the learning curve for a newbie is higher as on
*nix. BUT some weeks later, it costs MORE time to keep a Win2k machine up and
running as a *nix machine. If FreeBSD is running, it keeps running. If
Win2k is running, it works for some weeks, suddenly it makes any
troubles and no one knows why. Meanwhile the BSD machine is still
funny working without any problems. They are great uptimes, and win2k
users can only dream about it. If you need a trouble free network, you need
a qualified win2k administrator or a qualified unix admin.

--
Best regards,
 Boris Köster                           mailto:koester@x-itec.de

--