Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:22:57 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "new.xs4all.nl" <kapteyn@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startup Kde??

On 7/16/00, 11:02:29 AM, "new.xs4all.nl" <kapteyn@xs4all.nl> wrote=20
regarding startup Kde??:

> Now, After all those nice words about Free BSD I tried it.
> I downloaded teh ISO image and started installing.
> After a while I decided to use FTP, because the ISO image does not=20
have all
> the correct contents (that will cost another full day phone bill...=20
:-))

> But now, when i cab start up Free bsd i want to get into a graphical=20
shell.
> I mount the cdrom, then try to start kde by typing kde.
> It starts looking for all sorts of things and gives messages that a
> connection to the Xserver could not be made.

> First of all: what commands do i have to give in a standard situation =

(i am
> logged in as root) to start kde or gnome sessions?
> Secondly: where can i find the appropriate manual on the internet to=20
find
> these commands?

> Third: should i download /configure a specific part of  my=20
installation to
> be able to start kde or gnome?

> If anyone can help me? Thanx!!

> regards, Wim

Dear Wim,

It is not quite clear to me what you have done, but I seem to=20
understand you have somehow installed FreeBSD and (?) KDE.

If this is the case, you may wish to do the following:

0) create a user account, and run ALL your fancy applications as a=20
normal user; only use root as an *administrative* account for strictly=20
*administrative* tasks;

1) in your home directory, typically /usr/home/your_user_name, create=20
a .xinitrc file (yes, with an initial period) containing one single=20
line: "exec startkde"; instead, if you want Gnome, you'll have to=20
specify "exec gnome-session"; finally, if you want to be able to run=20
both (not at the same time, of course), well, learn a little more,=20
and/or browse the mail archives, which are found at=20
http://www.freebsd.org/mail/ ... :-)

2) issue such a command as 'startx -- -nolisten tcp' (you will=20
understand yourself the reason for this a little later);

3) carefully browse the FreeBSD main site http://www.freebsd.org: it=20
contains a **large** amount of information (handbook, tutorials,=20
interesting links, etc).

If you don't know (yet) how to perform any of the tasks just=20
described, don't worry: rather, begin reading the documentation=20
(handbook, FAQ, tutorials, etc.) found on the FreeBSD site;=20
alternatively, you can read a local copy of the docs on your own=20
system, in /usr/share/doc/ as well as the man pages. Either way, you=20
should soon be on business :-)

Good luck,
Salvo