Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:30:15 -0400
From:      "Roth, William" <RothW@SEC.GOV>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   KDE DCOPserver error from non-root user

I successfully configure X v4 and have successfully launched and tested KDE
when launched as root.  When I try to launch from a normal user account,
however, the launch hangs at the KDE loading phase.  Specifically the icon
for interprocess communications shows itself to be the currently loading
stage when the following error appears:

Could not read network connection list:  /home/bud/.DCOPserver_dick.oie_:0
Please check if dcopserver program is running.

I click okay and X crashes, leaving a stream of error messaages that are not
logged in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  Most of them are to the tune of:

icetrans socket failed...failed to create listerner for local
DCOPserver could not be started
Socketcreatelistenerfailed()

I checked and there is no .DCOPserver_dick.oie_:0 file in /home/bud, but
there is one in root.  The funny thing is that the root one does not exist
really.  What exists is a link, DCOPserver_dick.oie that links to
DCOPserver_dick.oie_:0.  Yet the latter file does not itself exist.  So, I
tried copying the link to /home/bud/ but that did not work either.  Any
suggestions would be most appreciated.

Bud