Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:28:04 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd don't record login in utmpx

On 31-3-2015 11:49, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:34:21AM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>>> I have many ftp acconts, than need be isolated by ftp.
>>> I need united database about login and logout.
>>> FreeBSD 1.x-9.x do this.
>>> Why this removed in 10.x?
>>
>> Slawa,
>>
>> I can't tell you that, but it is in r202209. And you can ask the one
>> that removed it (ed@). :)
>> Like r202209 says 5 years ago:
>> 	Maybe we can address this in the future if it turns out to be a
>> 	real issue.
>
> What about issue talk?
> Opened file outside chroot? /dev/null and /var/run/logpriv still opened.
> Disabling logging for chrooted accounts? Realy?!

Read the submit message!? The reason is there, nothing with security as
I read it, but it just did not fit into the way the new lib for wtmp
worked/works.
Clearly you do not agree, but you are rather late to the party.

Could be that in the mean time code has been added to wtmp, and now you
can do it from inside a chroot? Perhaps ask ed@ of on hackers@??

>> Hasn't been an issue uptill now, it seems.
>>
>> But then there  are many flavours of FTP server out there ATM, so freely
>> quoted from Andy Tannenbaum:
>> 	If you don't like this version, get another one.
>
> Now I only see removing old and working functionality w/o reassonable

Well that is only in your eyes. wtmp moved (on) to a different way of
storing the data. At that point in time nobody had a problem with that.
And in 5 years you are the first one to be vocal about it.

>> Or write a script that actually unites the output from either the
>> database and/or last(8).
>
> You kidding.
> For this I need rearange ALL ftp acconts. Change permissions. Create
> hieararhie. Learn users.

Well perhaps one of the other flavours of FTPDs suits your need better.

--WjW