Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:26:21 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Server Almost Crashed!!! Please Help!!!

Hi,

    I have detected a problem in my system, I have FreeBSD 3.2 with sendmail
8.9.3, Procmail-3.13.1, and disk Quotas; I have searched the sendmail site
and I didnt find anything usefull to solve my problem: all my users have 5MB
of disk Quotas, the problem happened when 1 of my users that have his quota
filled, send a mail to another user who has his quota filed too, the message
wasnt to big, 250KB, but when procmail sended a message to sendmail that the
quota was exceded, sendmail send a message to root, and tried to return the
mail to the original sender, but this user also has his quota exceded, so
the mail kept bouncing and trying to be sent all the night, and sendmail
kept sending messages to root, an filling the file system, when I came back
today, my file system was at 98% filled, in my home directory (I have a
forward from root to my personal account), I had 3000 messages of 250KB, and
my .mail file was like 7.5GB of size, I had to stop sendmail server and
cleaned the mail queue of this mails and then restarted the process, I
already know that I can make all this messages that are sent to root to go
to trash, with a very simple script in the .procmailrc file, appending the
matching subject to /dev/null, but sendmail will not stop from sending and
sending the mail and keeping the procesor used and some resources, its there
any way to avoid this situation of happening again, its there somethig that
I could tell sendmail to discard the message if in X ftime hasnt been sent
(in this case). I have already searched the sendmail site, but I couldnt
find anything usefull, if someone can help me, I will appreciate this very
much.

Thanks in Advance

Ales