Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS broke again -- what has to be rebuilt to stop this?

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> In my mind, using /proc for ps(1) is just silly...

yup.

the /proc approach is easy from the point of view of some uses, but suppose
you want to do continuous monitoring of kernel variables for some reason. The
best way it seems to me is to mmap the kernel address space in and simply
monitor what you need to monitor. One of the worst ways is to periodically
call a read() system call that vectors through vfs to /proc -- that's a big
chunk of time to get the same information. Also, suppose you want to look
at something that's not in the current /proc -- you have to build the kvm
walker anyway. /proc is nice but does have its limitations.

ron

Ron Minnich                |"If you leave out all the killings, D.C. has as
rminnich@sarnoff.com       | low a crime rate as many cities" --
(609)-734-3120             |  D.C. Mayor Marion Barry
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html