Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 01:55:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        dave <dmehler@siscom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pam_ldap package.

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, dave wrote:

> Hello,
>     What functionality does the pam_ldap package provide? I'm trying to get
> my fbsd box to authenticate users via ldap, and i saw this package, but i
> don't see documentation for it nor what if anything it adds to /etc/pam.conf
>     any help appreciated.

When you install the port/package, you will notice the pkg-message that
prints out will tell you what to add to pam.conf.  The ldap.conf file that
comes with the port is well commented, and should tell you hoe to
configure it.

pam_ldap will only give you _authentication_ support.  You will still need
to have each user in /etc/master.passwd for things like home directories
and gecos info.

Joe