Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:15:30 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Batchelor <smujohnson@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Caching

* Mike Batchelor <smujohnson@home.com> [001111 01:25] wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I recently tried to delete the /usr/ports directory off FreeBSD
> for a fresh install.. and I was amazed at how long it took to delete
> it.  In fact, i never got around to finish removing it cause it
> took so long.  So.... is it possible that I'm not getting any
> efficient memory caching?  I have 128 Megs ram installed..and a
> 20.4 gig HD /w 2048k cache..
>
> To see actually how fast it was deleting, I was using "df" while
> it was deleting and it said about 1 meg was deleted for every 5
> seconds.  Is this normal?  I remember how under Windows, it would
> take seconds to delete large amounts of files.  Can anyone help?
> Thanks!
>
> PS - My `top` displays 12K Cache.   I don't know if this helps.  Thanks

FreeBSD can not simply cache directory operations in RAM without
the possibilty of severe data loss in the event of a crash without
softupdates.

So either:
1) read /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates and enable softupdates
-or-
2) mount your filesystems 'async' which can cause serious problems
   if you happen to crash while it's 'async'

option 1 is a better idea. :)

you may also want to try this setting:

sysctl -w vfs.vmiodirenable=1

But that will really only help if you've set softupdates or async.