Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 03:32:14 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

>  3) You won't be able to login to your computer if you don't have
>  /etc/login.conf.

Huh? This should certainly not be true. If so, it is a bug, and
I'd very much like to hear the details.

FWIW, I just tried it on a 2.2 box AND on a 3.0 box with very
recent builds from each branch that include the recent login.conf
changes - both login and su worked fine without /etc/login.conf
present, with only a syslog complaint that there's no default
or root class (which is intentional). What problems are you
experiencing? If there's some gotcha there that I haven't
considered, I'd certainly like to clear it up as soon as
possible.

The lack of this file is NOT intended to make the system unusable,
not in -current, and not in 2.2 either.

Regards
David