Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 02:24:20 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pathetic 11 kbytes/s with ed driver (Netgear EA201)

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:56:48AM +1100, Greg Lane wrote:
> I am putting together a cheap webserver out of a discarded 486 with
> all ISA slots. I am using a Netgear EA201 ISA network card which
> uses the ed driver. I get CRAP bandwidth out of the thing. Using
> fetch to get a file:
>
> 3>xxxxx@router:~$ fetch http://rene:/mysql_manual.pdf
> Receiving mysql_manual.pdf (3314090 bytes): 100%
> 3314090 bytes transferred in 279.0 seconds (11.60 kBps)
>
> This is on a local network where the client and server are
> each plugged into a 10baseT hub.
>
> If I try using scp to copy a file, I can get better, sometimes
> 100kBps. There is definitely some problem though as the traffic
> shows pauses (see below in a tcpdump). First the config info:
>
> I have used the Netgear DOS configuration program to set the
> card to non-PNP mode, use IRQ 5, port 0x300 and full-duplex.
> It is recognised fine (excerpt from dmesg):

One comment here.  You can normally *not* use full-duplex when you use
a hub. Switches, yes, but not hubs.  My first guess would be that this
is the problem.  Try using half-duplex instead and see if it helps.

> ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000 irq 5 drq 0 on isa0
> ed0: address 00:40:05:a2:15:fc, type NE2000 (16 bit)
>
> My kernel config has the line
>
> device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd8000
>
> One question? Is the iomem used? There is no way to set this

As far as I know the iomem is not used by the 'ed' driver.
I have a machibe with two NE2000 compatible cards in it, both using the
same iomem address. No problems.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson