Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:05:34 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

Lamont Granquist wrote:

> If you want to get all offended that less technical people in an
> organization are using non-free/non-unix products, then I strongly suggest
> that you start working on Gnome or KDE or desktop applications to make it
> so that less technically skilled people can sit down in front of a Linux
> or FreeBSD computer and get work done without having to fight with the UI
> at all.  I can tell you from recent experience (setting up a desktop
> freebsd install for our director of software engineering a week or two
> ago) that right now that Linux/FreeBSD/Gnome/KDE/etc simply fails at this.

This is interesting ... while I agree with your comments about accepting
other
OSes in the workplace, I'm rather surprised by the last comments.
First off, I find the GUIs available for Freenix to be much nicer than
the Windows variants. That might just be me, though. I think it has a
lot to do with what you're used to. If you've been using Windows your
whole life, any change is upsetting.
Secondly, I still find it strange that the attitude is "make the system
so simple that any idiot can use it" instead of "take a few hours to
train the guy on the system he's using"
In my experience, no matter how "simple" (being a matter of opinion) the
system is, an uneducated user will still have/cause problems. Whereas
an even slightly trained user can usually find his way successfully
around more complicated systems.

My $.02 again.

-Bill