Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 110 09:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        vdongre@rolta.com (Vrushal Dongre)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Relation between RAM & no: of users

> Hello All !
> I am a newcomer to the FreeBSD world .
> I  want to set up a mailserver at my office.
> I have FreeBSD 2.0 running on a 486-DX2 system with four IDE HDDs
> of 1GB each . I have alotted 150MB as swap space.
> There will be approximately 200 users, using the system primaraly
> for email; some will use mail/elm others will use email clients like
> Eudora through Windows..
> I have 32MB of RAM on board.
> My question is :- is 32 MB sufficient , or do i need to add some
> more RAM ?
> Your help will be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,

	The vital question is: how many concurrent shell (elm/pine/mh)
	users do you want/need to support?  Your POP (Pegasus/Eudora) users
	are less of a problem since the sessions are typically quite short
	and most of the memory overhead is at the client workstation.

	If some of the clients will be using other Unix hosts they can
	use 'popclient' to fetch their mail from the gateway and append
	it to their local spool file (or to append it to a special
	mail folder).

	Your real concern is the users who are telnetting in, using a
	shell account to launch elm or pine, or running mh commands.  In
	particular you have to worry about users that telnet in and
	take up one session all day long, every day.

	My guess is that you should figure on about a half meg per
	*active* concurrent shell user (giving you roughly enough for
	60 users in 32Mb of RAM).  You can have quite a bit of swap
	space because many of the sessions are likely to be inactive
	most of the time.

	With your 150Mb of swap you should be able to handle all
	200 users logged in to elm.  If more than about 30 of them
	were active (most e-mail users I've seen start a session and
	leave it backgrounded, minimized, whatever -- all day) then it
	will probably seem *slooooowwwwww*.

	Having more RAM won't hurt.  Distributing the load over two
	system will hurt even less ;).   This is especially true if
	the machines can be located on your LAN in such a way as to
	minimize traffic.  Unless your site is using intelligent
	swithing hubs (assuming that you're on ethernet) you're
	probably segmented (probably along some departmental boundary).
	Putting one department's mail server on it's segment and
	another's on "their" segment will minimize the load on your
	routers.  Of course you can also put multiple ethernet interfaces
	in your FreeBSD boxes and have them stradling the segments.

	Finally, by having two or more identically configured mailhosts
	you can easily implement a disaster plan.  Plan ahead and
	keep the account tables (passwd files) synchronised (either by hand
	or using NIS+).  Using the aliases files (which would mostly be
	complements of one another) you can ensure that the mail gets
	forwarded to the "right" box.  However if one box fails you can
	make a quick change to the aliases files, and possibly a
	quick DNS change or IP alias to force the other box to handle
	the whole load.

	I've found that nothing makes a user community crankier faster
	than than a dead mail server.  Being able to their mail back up
	in minutes rather than hours or days is *vital*.

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates