Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:43:03 -0500
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   shell script, rc, and starting a server process at boot time

This one has me a bit puzzled.  I just setup a freebsd 4.10 release
install for use as a gaming server.  I want to run Enemy Territory on
startup.

I created a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/  that contains the following:

#!/bin/sh
cd "/compat/linux/usr/games/et"
./etded.x86 \+set ttycon 0 +exec server.cfg  > /dev/null 2>&1
exit \

The problem is that this script will hang up the autoboot rc processes.
  In order for the game to work, stderr and stdout need to be
redirected.  As far as i know, i got that part working and directing
the /dev/null  I think the problem is with keyboard input.  I haven't
figured out a way to redirect stdin to /dev/null or something similar.
I suspect thats what is holding up autoboot.  I'm certainly no expert
at shell scripting.  is there a way to redirect stdin, stderr, and
stdout so that the game will load automatically?  Preferably I'd like
to alter this so i don't have to start the extra  /bin/sh process, but
i really don't care if it has to be there to get the game to run.

Thanks in advance.

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)