Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 10:50:20 -0600
From:      "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
To:        "Phil Rosenthal" <winter@villaweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID vs vinum

My experience may be contrary to others.

My particular application got much much better performance with
software RAID (vinum) than with hardware RAID (HP 3-Si card a.k.a. AMI
MegaRAID).

The application in question had about 16 Windows boxes accessing an SMB
filesystem (Samba on the FBSD box).  These clients would be all over
the disk, accessing hundreds or thousands of different files at
different locations on the filesystem every second.  Mostly reading,
but some writing as well.

I got excellent performance out of the hardware raid with only about
three or four clients running, but when all sixteen were pounding on
the disk, throughput (measured with iostat/systat) was abysmal.

Moving the disks to a Symetrics controller and vinum resulted in at
least tripple the performance.

I accredited it to the fact that the hardware controller had a small
cache (32M) vs. the system main memory (1G), and that the system could
better schedule reads and writes as it knew more about where the data
was on the various disks.

I guess what I'm saying is don't simply assume that hardware RAID is
good or bad... it's very dependent on your application.  We are very
satisfied with the hardware RAID on a different box with different usage
patterns.

	-jan-
--
Jan L. Peterson