Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:22:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      George Reid <greid@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Skibicki III <djplayboy_nsp@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, John Skibicki III wrote:

> I'm still a newbie @ BSD! I was wondering, I know in micro$ofts
> implementation of TCP/IP they have a thing called a TCP recieving and
> sending window. When I got my Cable modem I was getting real bad speeds
> because my dial up software changed my recieve window to a smaller size.
> Thus changing the recieve window bigger I got the speeds I should have. Was
> wondering if BSD has a simmilar setting some where?
> if so how can it be adjusted? Thanks John!

Of course. There are several window size sysctl(8)s. The two you need are
net.inet.tcp.sendspace and net.inet.tcp.recvspace.

Use "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=value" to change them. Read
sysctl.conf(5) if you want them set at boot time.

"And then it comes to be that the soothing light
   at the end of your tunnel was just a freight
            train, comin' your way."

      George Reid * greid@ukug.uk.freebsd.org