Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:53:38 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This is not a re-opening of the shell wars.. :)

Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> A very recent mail to this esteemed list was from someone who
> didn't like Fbsd because it apparently uses the Bourne Shell.

Sounds like a lame excuse not to learn something new. (using Bourne
shell as excuse not to learn FreeBSD)

> It occurred to me that everyone uses the shell to a greater
> or lesser extent and since it is such a fundamental tool maybe
> it is worth saying in the front page blurb on FreeBSD that it supports
> all popular shells, sh,ksh,csh,tcsh,bash..even zsh.

Wouldn't hurt.

> The first thing I did when I loaded BSD was to find "bash", I just
> assumed it would have it. People with a Linux background will certainly
> miss it; and maybe not have the investigative zeal to find it.

That's amazing to me. Because:
1. Anyone with any UN*X experience whatsoever would know that you can
install other shells.
2. Anyone who wouldn't know they could install other shells wouldn't
know they were missing anything.

Apparently there are a few people in the middle. I would suppose that
there's very few. I'd be more inclined to assume that he was making up
an excuse not to like FreeBSD. I've seen people do this a lot, it's just
an excuse to cover up the fact that they didn't want to like it to begin
with - somebody probably pushed him into trying it when he didn't want
to, and he used it just long enough to find an excuse to report back to
the pusher.
If I'm right, the solution is to not push people into things they don't
want to try. If I'm wrong, then just ignore my babbling.

just my $.02

-Bill