Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 02:53:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Majordomo lists security

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Matt Piechota wrote:

 > On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
 >
 > > > I was notably concerned when I saw the administrative password
 > > > for each list stored clear text in a predictable world readable
 > > > file/directory.  :-)
 > >
 > > You may get away with o-r on the .config files (aren't they already?),
 > > but the subscriber list itself must remain world-readable.

The config and passwd files here came as mode 660 (or 640 - I do recall
making a few things group (majordom) writable that weren't originally),
as a couple of users manage lists; root still needed to create new ones.
I chmod o-r a few other files too, but was slack not documenting it :(

 > Is this for sendmail itself?  Sendmail runs as root (which isn't good,
 > except in this case), so it can read anything it wants, regardless of
 > permissions.  Or am I mistaken somewhere?

I was wondering about that too.  If not, can't root be added to group
majordom?  I find it a convoluted beastie to understand, but need it.

Cheers, Ian