Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:52:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Subject:   Re: sysinstall.8 Breaking buildworld

On 11-Jan-01 Crist J. Clark wrote:

>> > I think we should simply move the stupid man page into man8.  It's a bit
>> > weird to have a man page and its utility live in seperate places, but
>> > the release/ directory in the hierarchy has always been a red-headed
>> > stepchild in any case.  If I had it to do over, it would have all gone
>> > into /usr/src/sbin somewhere.
>>
>> Let's put sysinstall back in sbin/ then.  It _used_ to live there until
>> someone
>> moved it. :)
>>
>> -r--r--r--  1 root  src  62356 Dec 30  1995
>> /usr/cvs/src/sbin/sysinstall/Attic/sysinstall.c,v
>
> I had assumed that sysinstall was not part of the standard
> installworld for recovery purposes. That is, if a
> buildworld-installworld were to totally hose your system (but of
> course that _never_ happens), you would still have a reliable
> /stand/sysinstall uncorrupted by the errant installworld to aid in
> fixing things.

Erm, many things live in both /stand and other places:

> ll /stand/ | wc -l
      35
> ll /stand/rm /bin/rm
-r-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   255736 Jan  9 08:17 /bin/rm
-r-xr-xr-x  31 root  wheel  1729520 Jul 28 07:32 /stand/rm

Putting it in world wouldn't touch /stand, it would just add it to either
/usr/sbin or /sbin and keep that copy updated.

> Again, this is just what I assumed the reason for the design to
> be. And I have never actually used sysinstall to recover a hosed
> upgrade, I like the fixit.flp.
>
> But IMHO, either both /stand/sysinstall and sysinstall.8 get installed
> when building world or neither do. To me, that seems clear cut.

I vote for both, but not to touch /stand.  We don't keep rm.1 in sync with
/stand/rm, we keep it in sync with /bin/rm, so this seems to be the most
consistent..