Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:22:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        root@synthcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DOS File system fixes

Wasn't it Michael Smith who said:

> Robert Nordier stands accused of saying:
> >
> > What is the current status of this part of the project, is more help
> > needed, and what steps should one take to get involved?
>
> You're involved already; welcome aboard 8)
. . . . .
> We want to set up an environment wherein it is possible to make real-mode
> BIOS (and possibly other) calls in order to work with devices for which
> we have no protected-mode support.
>
> Obviously, any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to take a shot at helping on any technical issues.

Of course, under something like Windows, through DPMI, even a "straight"
BIOS call (like int 0x13) tends to actually pull in a whole lot more:
IO.SYS, DBLSPACE, the Windows WDCTRL device, SMARTDRV, etc.... Whereas,
from FreeBSD, it would be just BIOS.

Maintaining the BIOS environment is a way that is acceptable to both FBSD
and the BIOS might also get tricky. There are parts of the BIOS you
probably just don't want to get called: like 0x15/0x87 which is only a
helper routine but attempts a return to protected mode with interrupts
disabled.

I know Linux has a feature to use DOS device drivers (eg. CD_ROM) so
you can start up Linux from DOS. It didn't work when I tried it. :-)
Still, I must take a look at that code sometime....

--
Robert Nordier
rnordier@iafrica.com