Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 1997 05:17:18 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pib comments.

> ... and I'll squash this one before it gets loose too.  Satoshi was
> _very_ prompt in coming forwards with changes to the ports structure
> necessary for reasonably efficient management.

I meant no disregard for Satoshi's efforts - I was merely referring to
limitations in the INDEX file + distributed port information scheme
which makes it necessary to traverse the entire tree of 700+ ports if
you want to know a little more information about, say, which ports go
into /usr/local and which go into /usr/X11R6, or which are "legal" and
which are not.  In a modern GUI kinda environment, you'd have a button
for "show installation trees" and all the ports would suddenly jump
into columns, grouped by destination hierarchy, or if you clicked on
"Highlight -> LEGAL", all the tainted ones would show up in red.

I defy you to provide that level of functionality without keeping a
cache. :-)

						Jordan