Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 2015 09:41:38 -0700
From:      Steve Lindemann <steve@marmot.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS

On 11/5/2015 8:58 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, November 5, 2015 9:30 am, Steve Lindemann wrote:
>> On 11/5/2015 5:33 AM, Jerry wrote:
>>> I was given a brand new APC Smart-UPS SC 420VA unit. I was wondering if
>>> anyone had actually tried or used one of these units with FreeBSD.
>>> According
>>> to the documentation, it is "plug & play" with Windows, but I have no
>>> idea
>>> how to make it play nicely, if at all,  with FreeBSD. There is no USB
>>> connector, just a serial connector.
>>
>> Take a look at Network UPS Tools (NUT).  I haven't used it myself (yet)
>> but I've heard it works... though maybe not with serial.  If you give it
>> a try and it does work with serial let us know too.
>
> I must have introduced confusion in my other post, when I described
> apcupsd on machine not connected to UPS with serial/USB cable talking over
> network to apcupsd connected to the UPS with serial/USB cable. What I said
> is only relevant to apcupsd (which I use forever). Network UPS Tools
> mentioned here are different tools that have nothing to do with apcupsd,
> and what I said about apcupsd is not related to Network UPS Tools, and
> neither it needs these tools (all I described is done by the same apcupsd
> software).

I had not seen your post before I replied to the list... I was just
making a suggestion based on what I've heard (as opposed to real
experience on my part).  I wasn't responding to your points, what you
said in your original post sounds right to me too (again, based on what
I've read, not experience).
--
Steve