Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 18:06:50 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Subject:   Re: problem with non-rewinding device on DLT / using dump ?

On Sunday, 9th May 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:

>As Ollivier Robert wrote ...
>> According to Wilko Bulte:
>> > make that: restore -s 3 -b64 -i -f /dev/nrsa2
>> >
>> > and it works a whole lot better.
>>
>> I thought restore(8) was supposed to find the blocksize itself...
>
>Well... with -b64 I can restore things, without I can't. So I guess restore
>can not do it.

It can guess as high as 32KB, but no higher.  Changing HIGHDENSITYTREC to
64 would cause dump to write in 64KB blocks for most devices and cause
restore to guess as large as 64KB.

But, I think that some QIC tape devices will fail because 64KB blocks are
illegal in some modes.  I find that 32KB works for me for all drive types
that I use (QIC old and new, Exabyte 8200 thru 8505).  Any reason why
you don't use 32KB?

Stephen.