Date:      21 Aug 2000 00:49:23 -0300
From:      Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS setup question

Hello.

I've installed FreeBSD 4.1 this weekend -- and it was actually veryy
easy.

Ok. I followed the instructions in the handbook, and got PPP almost
working... It dials, connects, but I couldn't set up the name server
properly, and I don't know what I did wrong. This is my home dial-up
box.

The problem is that nslookup reports my nameserver's address as
"0.0.0.0", and I can't resolve names.

The interface is set up properly, and I can ping IP addresses... But
no names...

And I'm not sure if this is related to the problem, but when I last
booted into BSD, sendmail complained about the host name. The message
was "My unqualified hostname (socrates) unknown; sleeping for
retry". I waited for a while, and since it did nothing,  I had to hit
^C (and the boot process proceeded normally)

So, I was hoping someone could tell me what I've missed... Any help is
greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
J.

This is my /etc/rc.conf:
==
hostname="socrates"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
router_enable="NO"
sendmail_flags="-bd"
==

And this is /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup (mpc is the name for my provider in
ppp.conf):
==
mpc:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR
==

And in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, I have:
==
 set device /dev/cuaa2

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200

# This is actually one line, I've broken it for the sake of
  readability when including in this message:

 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
           ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set login
 set timeout 0
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns
 set authname pellegrini
 set authkey Mt*s42?u
 accept PAP

mpc:
 set phone ISP-PHONE-NUMBER
 set authname MY-LOGIN
 set authkey MY-PASSWORD
==

And /etc/host.conf:
==
hosts
bind
==

And this is /etc/hosts:
==
127.0.0.1		socrates localhost
10.0.0.1                socrates
==

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil