Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:56:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Dave Hayes wrote:

> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
Now, that's where you're wrong.  You CAN"T measure entropy in relative
terms.

> >> So, the people in the stock market share a Schelling point? Why
> >> couldn't you just say "community"?
Saying "community" brings a whole lot of words INAPPROPRIATE for the Stock
Market.

> > Because it's not the same thing as a Schelling point.  If I had
> > meant "community", I would have used the word "community".  What
> > I meant was "Schelling point", so I said "Schelling point".
> > [...examples...]

I would like some examples.

> > As you can see, a Schelling point is a place that "everybody knows",
Why don't you take the tip of this point, and sit on it.
> > but which was not arrived at by explicit agreement, but rather on a

It's an explicit PHENOMONAN only in that it can be observed; however  it's
NOT an "agreement".  Your comparison is similar to saying, "I am, therefor
I drink."  It's PROBABLY true, but it doesn't HAVE to be true.

> > cutural basis of lowest mutal entropy.
>
> Hmm, I prefer to call these "localized consensual realities". Thing
> is, they are still arbitrary. ;)

"Consentual" reality?  I think not, and that is not verisimilar.

> >> Cultures are arbitrary, entropy is arbitrary, it's all arbitrary. ;)
> >
> > I'm surprised that you can ever get any useful work done; perhaps
> > its because of an arbitrary perception of "useful"?  ;^).
>
> Then there's the arbitrary perception of "work". I prefer to call it
> "play" myself. ;)

Now we're treading in the waters of Phantasmagoria.  Which came first:
the chicken or the agg?

> >> Yes you did, it's in your quote above.
> >
> > That's Webster's dictionary using the word, not me.  I used the
> > word "professionally".
>
> By indirection you used the word, since you a) typed it and b)
> referred to it to define "professional".

He may have copy and pasted it, gotten someone else to do it.

> >> With most people, I would do the following. Take your argument that
> >> "it is unethical not to care". This reduces to whether you feel that
> >> allowing someone to do something unethical is the same as actually
> >> doing something unethical. Normally I would point this out, and point
> >> out that I think these two things are different. Attem
No.
> >> pting to impose
> >> ethicality on someone may be just as unethical as being
> >> unethical. There are numerous examples to illustrate this and
> >> most people would just agree to disagree after they had been
> >> presented.
> >>
> >> This won't work for your case.
> >
> > Thanks!  I'm glad my behaviour isn't ARBITRARY...  8-).
>
> It is.
>
> BTW, since everything is arbitrary, "arbitrary" is meaningless. ;)
>
> >> That's because it's not enough to argue on the surface. I have to
> >> develop a linear space, assert my propositions as axioms on this
> >> space, then prove this space can exist. Even once I do that, you are
> >> so attached to the answer being a certain way, you'll find ways to
> >> argue with each and every proposition I make. Now it's hard to resist
> >> classifying you as one of those arrogant scientific worshippers who
> >> refuse to listen to you unless you speak linear algebra. However, you
> >> are dead set in your ways, and I've seen the lengths that the human
> >> mind will go to rationalize their behavior. You can rationalize
> >> anything if you try hard enough.
> >
> > That's an incorrect caracterization of me.
>
> Of course it is, to you.
>
> > You fail to grasp that rationalization is antithetical to my world
> > view.

First you argue that I am qarbitrary, and now you INSIST that I am part of
a class system.

> ROFL! From beginning to end this entire diatribe is one big
> rationalization.
>
> >> A mind in a state such as yours accepts no external input. It merely
> >> tears everything apart as much as it can, attempting to discredit what
> >> it cannot understand.
> >
> > Only that which can not be proven, independently of understanding.
>
> And you hold the keys to decide what "can" and "cannot be"
> proven. Beautiful. ;)

Listen, take your Star Wars philosophy BACK WHERE IT BELONGS.
> >> Thus, the correct way to behave to you is to be irrational, in a
> >> rational way. =)
> > That's the way you are trying to behave, I'd agree, but it's not
> > the correct way to behave, if you are to make a convincing argument,
>
> You presume I want to convince you.

What, do you think you're Yoda?

> > nor is it possible to be truly irrational in a rational way, without
> > the flaws in your model being extern
LOL.  Too much C?
> > ally visible to those who do not
> > share it.
>
> The flaws help to convince you that the model is irrational. ;)

> >> Heh. That's what I've been saying for years. We aren't dealing with
> >> experimental data here, just trolls. If you can do that with me, how
> >> come you can't do this with trolls?
> >
> > Exactly.  You solution is the same as a childs, and works about as
> > well, overall, which is to say "not at all, as a long term approach".
>
> I thought the simplest solution to a problem was the best? ;)
> ------
> Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
>
> If, from time to time, you give up expectation...then you
> will be able to perceive what it is that you are getting.

pls...... i am romania.......