Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 21:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OK to use CNAME?

Hello!

The University told us that if we wanted to run a nameserver for
ourselves (for Residence Networking), then we had to do so without using
CNAMEs.  Could someone shed some light on why this belief would be true,
that the use of CNAMEs is frowned upon?

Background:
We want to use them so there is no question when a reverse-nameserve
request is done, which machine they are referring to.  We use static IP
addressing when giving students IPs, and a name has been stock-assigned
to the IP, ie if the IP is 128.223.170.164 then the name is
riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu (riley is the hall name).  We were going to
create a nameserver for putting on student's names so we didn't have to
bug the Computing Center if we wanted to get a name added or changed.  We
would just add a CNAME record from the new name
(dwhite.resnet.uoregon.edu) to the name in the central nameserver
(riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu).

Doug White                              | Student, University of Oregon
Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Major: Computer Science
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Eugene/Spfld BBS List Publisher