Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:42:40 +0100
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network Printing

--==_Exmh_1668187728P

Hi,

Another printing problem. I have a NewGen printer that has a network
port. I have configured the printer with an IP address and the
correct netmask for my network. I can ping the printer and it
responds. Unfortunately, I don't belive that the printer supports
'lpd' style printing, at least I cannot find any where in the menu to
configure queues, etc.

In the FreeBSD handbook is a perl script that can be used to do
network printing, but it requires a port number to use. Does anyone
know if there is a standard port that I can use to print to or any
way of determining the port to print to. I have used Brian Somers
program 'tcpchat' to try and telnet to every port from 1 to 32000,
but got no response from any port. The printer works fantastically
via the parallel port. I cannot get any information from the company
as they have been bought out and and no longer sell printers. I have
tried emailing them with no response and of course I got no
documentation with the printer.

Much thanks.

David.

--==_Exmh_1668187728P