Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:08:22 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel config:advice

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM, <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 06:41:05PM -0400, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> > hello:
> > My kernel that is running currently is a bit large and has a lot of
> > support for hardware I do not use. Here is my kernel config:
>
> What, is your machine memory constrained? The generic kernel is, what 12MB
> in size?  It's a bother using a custom kernel, and I wonder if it is really
> worth the trouble. As someone who used to compile custom kernels for fun
> I have to say I wouldn't bother with it today.
>
> As far as I know the biggest reason to have a custom kernel is if you
> want to use ipsec. But don't hold me to that.
>
> > #device    mps
>
> You commented out the mps driver.
>
> > #device    scbus
>
> This is part of the CAM subsystem. Since you are getting compilation errors
> from that subsystem I suggest putting this device back into your config.
> This goes double when the commented out device is actually mentioned in
> your dmesg log.
>
> > errors:
> > tws_cam.c:(.text+0x1093): undefined reference to `xpt_done'
> > tws_cam.o: In function `tws_scsi_complete':
> > tws_cam.c:(.text+0x196d): undefined reference to `xpt_done'
> > tws_cam.o: In function `tws_timeout':
> > tws_cam.c:(.text+0x1afb): undefined reference to `xpt_freeze_simq'
> > tws_cam.c:(.text+0x1b92): undefined reference to `xpt_release_simq'
>
> Come to think of it, it makes more sense to start with a full GENERIC
> config and then gradually remove devices. That way if you get an error
> compiling/linking you know where to look. Haphazard scattershot changes
> just leaves you with a mess.
>
> > (probe2:mps0:0:2:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 00 00 00 24 00
> > (probe2:mps0:0:2:0): CAM status: Invalid Target ID
> > (probe2:mps0:0:2:0): Error 22, Unretryable error
>
> Seems like if you have an mps controller you will need that mps device
> that you removed. Otherwise the kernel won't be able to talk to your disks.
>
> > da0 at mps0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
>
> Here's that mention of scbus. Removing this from your config is probably
> the problem.
>
> > Does anyone see any issues with this? I am unable to compile. While I am
> > not trying to trim out everything, I'd really just like to have this
> > customized for my hardware (this is a dedicated server). I'm going to be
> > putting a lot of load on this server and wanted to do what I could to
> > minimize unwanted overhead (if any really).
>
> I really doubt you will see any real benefit from this. The kernel just
> isn't that large by today's standards. If it did eliminate any overhead,
> and that overhead mattered, then your machine is waaay too close to the
> limit already and should be upgraded now.
>
> --
> Kevin P. Neal                                http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
>
>  "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
>                             Keir Finlow Bates, circa 1998

are these useful without ata devices?
options    ATA_STATIC_ID
options    ATA_CAM

do you really have all those RAID controllers
also no agp on that machine
the intel em NIC doesn't use miibus
you should probably make a copy of GENERIC and name it something else. It's
a good idea to copy GENERIC somewhere, then copy that copy to the same name
as your IDENT. then /*link*/ that copy back into src.

you would probably be happier running 10.0-RELEASE

if you look at your dmesg you can see which drivers you need without
guessing.
also check out MODULES_OVERRIDE in /etc/make.conf.. using this can greatly
speed up a kernel build.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA