Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:27:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "S. Sigala" <ssigala@globalnet.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   My FreeBSD Wish List...

... obviously IMHO (I'm sure that this will start an interesting
discussion, while i don't what to start a holy war):

* Move the ports packages prefix directory from /usr/local
  to /usr/opt or something like.  /usr/local should be reserved for
  user compiled packages, and should be created empty by default, as other
  operating systems already do.
  The X11 ports should not be installed in /usr/X11R6 but in the
  ports directory /usr/opt, the X Window directories tree should be
  never touched by the ports, i.e. should be like /usr/bin or /usr/lib ...
  the user is 100% sure that:
   * the packages code is only in /usr/opt;
   * the /usr/X11R6 don't contain anything but the XFree86 Inc. code.
   * he may create a separate partition for /usr/local and /usr/opt (and
     /usr/X11R6)
  This makes the OS updates easy and the OS clean.

* Replace the current package format with the RedHat RPM one, while
  using the Makefile idea for porting.
  The current bsd.port.mk based Makefiles porting idea is excellent, but
  what i suggest is an hybrid union of the two methods.  The ports deltas
  and Makefiles should remain the same, while only the package format
  may change.  This is because:
    * The current tarred+gzipped format is slow, try to do a pkg_info
      on a XEmacs or on a TeTeX package (a solution may be the .zip format...)
    * The dependencies are not so useful as they would be.  The dependencies
      should help the user doing upgrades, and is here that the RPM format
      comes.
    * The RPM code is good and free (while is GPLed, i know...).
  This makes, again, the OS updates easy.
  Note: i'm using BOTH the FreeBSD and the RedHat Linux operating systems.
  I'm not talking in theory, but from experience; I suggest this because i
  have tried BOTH the package systems and found some pros and cons.

What do you think?

Regards,
	-sandro