Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:50:18 +0100
From:      Andrzej Szydlo <ans2@gv.edu.pl>
To:        Vadim Vitebsky <vadim@vitebsky.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba Speed Problem

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 09:48:30AM +0500, Vadim Vitebsky wrote:

[...]

> Question: When I connect to my smbd share, I can read information from it
> with a full speed, I think (7-8MBytes/sec - 100Mbit, I think).
> Unfortunately, Whe I try to write down some information to this share from
> any clients I see, that the speed is so small (1-1.2MB/sec - 10MBit, I
> think). The CPU of the server almost idle in this process (90% idle). Can I
> write to my smbd share with a full speed? (I think, this troubles is not
> connected to my hardware, because there are Pentium II 300, 128MB, Fujitsu
> MPF 20GB as a server).

Hi,

Try playing with performance related samba server settings. The SMB
protocol behavior seems to be unpredictable and only experimentation
can help. Start from setting "write raw = no" in the smb.conf.
Read /usr/local/share/doc/samba/textdocs/Speed.txt for some more tips.
To make sure only Samba writes at low speed try writing a file
using FTP.

Andrzej