Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:08:30 -0500
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Mary Fowler <bsd@tgci.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New User Password @ Login

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 05:03:12PM +0000, Mary Fowler wrote:

> I wasn't specific enough in my last query.  What I want is a forced
> change of password upon 1st login.  NT has this option and it would
> be really cool if BSD does too.  Any clues/directions would be
> greatly appreciated.

You can force a password change at any time.  After creating the
account, use "chpass username" and set the "Change" field to the
current (or an earlier) date.  You can, of course, set it to some
future date if you prefer, to require a password change in a month
or whenever you'd like.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.