Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:12:52 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Haavard Vaagstoel <havardjv@gudmund.vgs.no>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a tip - X equiv. of Eudora?

At 02:40 PM 6/24/98 +0200, Haavard Vaagstoel wrote:

>Finally, none of these suggestions are running as X programs, though Pine
>works rather well in a xterm window. Fetchmail is a command line program
>(controlled by a .fetchmailrc file, or command line options), so a
>graphical interface is not really necessary. I doubt you will find any
>stand-alone pop client `under X'.

Your idea is a good one (and intrigues me as well), but I *did* find a
standalone pop client with some similarities to Eudora, so it pretty much
takes care of the issue.  On a single-user system like mine, not networked
to any other PC's except via dialup to an ISP, it seems easier and more
expedient to use a single program rather than a daemon to handle Email
(except for system-sent mail, of course... but I can just use 'mail' to
read that). The idea of using a fetchmail daemon that would allow any
number of other programs to manipulate my Email is intriguing, however.

BTW, why the quotes on 'under X?'  Aren't I running "under" a particular
visual environment when X is running?  How would you have put it, if 'under
X' doesn't sound right to you?  Inquiring newbies want to know.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.