Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:22:50 +0200
From:      Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>
To:        Brian Zill <bzill@microsoft.com>
Cc:        "'f.johan.beisser'" <jan@caustic.org>, Brad Huntting <huntting@hunkular.glarp.com>, snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Subject:   Re: 6over4 for KAME (FreeBSD)

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   My recollection is that an implementation of 6over4 for some BSD flavor
   exists, since I recall someone performing some interoperability testing
   between our implementation and that implementation.

=> I did some interoperability testing at the interim meeting in Tokyo
using a 3Com multicast router (for fun!). I can remember details, only
it was very soon in the morning...

   UCLA sounds familiar.

=> I got one day the CAIRN code but when I tried to port it to FreeBSD 3.x
I discovered I had only some parts then I kept only the name (virtual
Ethernet -> vet) which is in fact the (first/only) thing needed to implement
a new flavor of IPv6 over IPv4 (I have 4 different ones :-).

   Aren't two interoperating implementations a requirement for Proposed
   Standard? (RFC 2529 is at PS) I'm not aware of any others offhand, but it
   wouldn't surprise me if there were some.

=> Cisco supported this but this was removed... Obviously 6to4 (a *different*
thing) is far more popular (for bad reasons IMHO).

Regards

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr