Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:23:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nguyen Manh Tho <manhtho@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   The encripted passwd files

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I need to read the encripted passwd field in Linux
before converting to Free BSD format, and I have some
problem here.

This is the documents I read from man 5 passwd form
Free BSD 2.2.7

BEGIN HERE
   The passwd files are files consisting of newline
separated records, one per user, containing ten colon
(``:'') separated fields. These fields are as follows:

      name   User's login name.

      password User's encrypted password.

      uid    User's id.

      gid    User's login group id.

      class   User's login class.

      change  Password change time.

      expire  Account expiration time.

      gecos   General information about the user.

      home_dir User's home directory.

      shell   User's login shell.

The password field is the encrypted form of the
password. If the
password field is empty, no password will be required
to gain access to the machine. This is almost
invariably a mistake. Because these files
contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not
be readable by anyone without appropriate privileges.
Administrative accounts have a password field
containing an asterisk `*' which disallows normal
logins.

BUGS

   User information should (and eventually will) be
stored elsewhere.

   The YP/NIS password database makes encrypted
passwords visible to ordinary users, thus making
password cracking easier unless you use shadow
passwords with the master.passwd maps and FreeBSD's
ypserv(8) server.

   Unless you're using FreeBSD's ypserv(8) server?,
which supports the use of master.passwd type maps, the
YP/NIS password database will be in old
style (Sixth Edition) format, which means that
site-wide values for user login class, password
expiration date, and other fields present in the
current format will not be available when a FreeBSD
system is used as a  client with a standard NIS
server.

COMPATIBILITY
   The password file format has changed since 4.3BSD.
The following awk
 script can be used to convert your old-style password
file into a new
 style password file. The additional fields ``class'',
``change'' and ``expire'' are added, but are turned
off by default. These fields can then be set using
vipw(8) or pw(8).

      BEGIN { FS = ":"}

      { print $1 ":" $2 ":" $3 ":" $4 "::0:0:" $5 ":"
$6 ":" $7 }

END HERE.

When I connect as root in Free BSD, I could read the
encripted passwd field by using vipw, that really open
the master.passwd. This file is very similar to passwd
file except that the encripted passwd field  can be
seen. In Turbo Linux, there is no such master.passwd
file and I could not read the encripted passwd field.
I need to copy passwd file from Linux to Free BSD,
converting the format and would like reserving this
encripted passwd field. I can not check if this passwd
field reserve or not unless I could read this field
from both Linux and Free BSD.

I would like to know what is the default encript
engine of Free BSD and Linux ? If they diffrent, how
can I convert this field without losting any
information ?

I would like how to view all 10 fields on passwd file
in Free BSD because I just see 7 fields in this file.
As the document, I can not see 10 field if I do not
run ypserv(8) server.I do not know how to run this
server and turn on 3 new fields which default turn
off. Although to the document I can use the vipw(8) or
pw(8) to do that, I try run ypserv, and vipw but I
just see 7 fields. Please help me step by step if you
could.

Thank you very much for all your responses,

Nguyen Manh Tho.