Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:36:36 +0200 (SAST)
From:      "Geoff Rehmet" <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping connections without RST

Rodney W. Grimes writes :

> Now what would a box with so much security concern such that
> it needed this knob be doing running an ftp session.... though
> your point is valid and acceptable for low security boxes.  And
> I can see the real benifit that having this knob for those boxes
> would be, since it would mean not having to spend the care and
> attention to create a proper firewall rule set.
>
> The idea is okay in the general since, this is an easy knob to
> add, it would increase the security of some boxes, and not require
> great configuration pains of writting ipfw rules.
>
> IMHO, this know would give some folks a false since of security,
> but not so much that I would argue about keeping it out.

I never intended this idea as a replacement for ipfw, but rather
as a simple setup, which can be done to make a SMALL improvement
in security, and just make the lives of inquisitive or nasty people
a little harder.  Maybe I will eventually decide I want ipfw on some
of the boxes concerned, but that is trickier on machines like
public ftp servers.  Also, the machines concerned already sit
behind a packet filtering firewall setup, which is being slated for
a $100000 upgrade over the next year anyhow, so this is not for
machines that act as any primary line of defense.

I'm also making the assumption that the machines concerned are being
looked after by competent admins.  (A lot to assume sometimes.)

It seems, though, that there are no serious objections to this kind
of feature.  I was thinking of calling it
net.inet.tcp.blackhole, and
net.inet.udp.blackhole

rather than "drop_in_vain".  Any advances on that.  I never quite
cottoned onto the "in vain" bit - it seems a bit obscure, personally,
I prefer the idea of the machine behaving like a black hole -
refused connections no longer "reflect" off it. :-)

Geoff.
--
Geoff Rehmet,
The Internet Solution