Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:30:20 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: csh history and pts

* Roman Divacky (rdivacky@freebsd.org) wrote:

> > Back to original post, I confirm that [t]csh loses history after shutdown(8).
>
> might be completely irrelevant but tcsh on linux loses history for me as well :)

tcsh doesn't bother doing any locking when merging .history, so if you
kill multiple sessions at once, it's very common to see entries get
lost, interlaced or doubled e.g:

#+1220363109
./setup.py uninsta#+1220237817
#+1220363109
./setup.py uninsta#+1220237817
#+1220363109
./setup.py uninstall -vv --manifest files.txt
#+1220363109
iles.txt
#+1220363109
d'

I see it a lot when I close Terminator and kill the 4+ terms in it at
the same time. If I ^D each term manually it's fine, if I kill half a
dozen at once I'll probably lose half the history entirely and the other
half will be badly mangled.  I expect shutdown is having a similar
effect.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/