Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 07:15:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Copyrights and the current FreeBSD handbook...

[Moved here from commit mailling list]

> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
> > >  * > If nobody objects, then this will become the official policy. :)
> > >  *
> > >  * Please commit it as /usr/src/policy/library_versions
> > >
> > > Hey, I didn't propose to make a new directory under /usr/src. ;)
> >
> > We do need to do something like this.  Probably the location above
> > is not optimal, perhaps /usr/src/share/doc/policy.
> >
> > I have another contribution for it, but perhaps this is FAQ material,
> > ``How to place code under a UCB style copyright, complete with a
> >  sample ready to edit''.
>
> By all means fire it off to doc@freebsd.org!

Ahh.. I did but then did the next thing and found this:
19. Contributing to FreeBSD

   19.1. Ideas and suggestions
   19.2. Changes to the existing code
   19.3. Contributions of new code
   19.4. Porting of software

> Also, take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/How/handbook.
> Some things are still a jumble, but both these topics could find
> a home in Part 4: Advanced topics.

Actually it is in 19.3, and there is already a file in the tree,
we should probably bring up a core team discusion about that file
as it was original taken verbatium from UCB, but several of us
have found that some mild rewording is in order.

> > I basically point people to the cvs FAQ and the manual pages, then a
> > few days of hand holding.  We do have another piece of policy here
> > though, and that is about how we use CVS, modules, no touching stuff
> > manualy in ~ncvs, etc.
>
> What is needed is an extension of the "submitters guide" that
> Jordan wrote.  It should provide an introduction to the source
> tree, the philosophy of bmake, and policies such as library
> version changes and the like.  I tried to drum up some interest
> in writing this among the people on the doc mailing list, but was
> greeted with utter silence on the topice.

Yes, this is needed, no I don't want to write it :-(.  I will act
as editor for anyone who does write it though.

Now onto another topic.. in the bibliography section of the How/Handbook
I see *no* mention of the O'Reily BSD 4.4 manual set, this is a major
oversight, it is the bible as far as I am concerned for our code base!!!