Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:58:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netatalk on 4.1-STABLE

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> [wash@poeza:~]> papstatus -p LaserWriter
> LaserWriter:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

	I've been using NetATalk with the asun patches on FreeBSD
3.0-Release, 3.2-Stable, 3.3-Stable, 3.4-Stable, 4.0-Release, 4.1-Stable,
and 4.1.1-Stable.  I've used it without those patches on several 2.2.x
versions.  Its always been great for me.

	I've never needed papd, though.  Only afpd.  So what I'm about to
say is a complete guess.  It looks like one of the following might be a
problem:

- You didn't compile a kernel with "options NETATALK" in the config
file.  Does netstat -f altalk show anything?

- You're trying to talk to an AppleTalk printer that isn't there.

- You haven't configured a printer for papd.  According to man papd, you
need to configure it via /usr/local/etc/papd.conf.

						Jaime