Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:32:54 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        David Wilk <admin@cia-g.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating my ports tree?

David Wilk wrote:

> Darren,
>
> I'm about to start the same process, and being new to FreeBSD, was wondering
> what you did and how it worked out for you.

I installed cvsup from ports, copied /usr/share/examples/ports-supfile
to /root, editted it (the only change I made was to specify a server),
then said:

cvsup -L 2 /root/ports-supfile

It then downloaded the current ports tree.  When it was done, I
installed portupgrade and said:

portsdb -uU
pkgdb -F

After that, I got a list of the outdated ports by saying:

pkg_version -vL '='

NOTE: If you're running courier-imap from ports and you update it using
portupgrade, you will need to stop the courier services and backup the
configuration files and SSL certificates.  I didn't do this and make
deinstall only partially removed the old courier-imap port.  I then had
to edit the +CONTENTS file for the old courier-imap port and run
pkg_delete again.  It was a big pain.  These are the files that should
be moved to a different directory (like /root), they are your
configuration files, so don't just delete them:

/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/authdaemonrc
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/imapd
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/imapd.cnf
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/pop3d
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl
/usr/local/etc/courier-imap/pop3d.cnf
/usr/local/share/courier-imap/pop3d.pem
/usr/local/share/courier-imap/imapd.pem

You should also make sure /usr/local/var/authdaemon/ is empty.  You
will want to make sure there are no running authdaemond instances
running before clearing out this directory, though.  Issuing the stop
command to all couriertcpd processes should take care of this for you.